As a reminder, you will choose ONE of the questions to answer for each reading and in approximately one paragraph.
1. Do you think gestures are linguistic features? With reference to Kendon (1997), explain why or why not.
2. What is the difference between gestures used in conversation and gesture systems that replace aspects of speech entirely?
3. How does Kendon suggest the role of gesture in conversation may be researched and better understood? What are the benefits and drawbacks of this research method?
1. Say you were to put together a corpus of UCLA students’ emails to professors. How could such a corpus be both representative and balanced?
2. What are the relative benefits and drawbacks of processing corpora using a programming language vs. using a corpus tool with a graphical user interface?
3. In terms of linguistic research, what sort of questions does Gries say that corpus linguistics can help answer? Are there any you can think of that cannot be answered or explored with corpus linguistics?
Reading Response 8: Holmes (1984)
1. Give examples of three different pragmatic particles and their functions. How do we know these particles have these functions?
2. What kind of data can be used to research differences in speech across genders? What is important to keep in mind when gathering or evaluating such data?
3. Holmes argues that tag questions are highly flexible. What does she mean by this?
1. Tao (2016) cites this quote by Billig (1997): “The business of remembering can be a highly rhetorical or controversial business, so that the memory-claims might be accomplishing a variety of interactive business.” With reference to the excerpts analyzed in Tao (2016), what are some of these business tasks, and how do they differ from cognitive remembering?
2. Why is the distinction between cognitive remembering and “doing” remembrance (or claiming/contesting remembrance in conversation)? Why does this matter for linguistic research?
3. What role do both qualitative and quantitative methods play in this study? Evaluate the use and integration of these methods.
4. What cross-cultural differences in findings related to negative epistemics does Tao (2016) explore? What kind of analysis and data would be necessary to make broader claims about these differences?