In this paper, you will compare the original Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes story with a modern adaptation in TV, film, or another medium. I’d like you to watch either 1 movie or 2 episodes before writing the paper. I would also like you to read this chapter from Conan Doyle’s A Study in Scarlet, which is the first meeting between Watson and Holmes:
In writing the paper, I would look for:
1. How faithful is it to the stories as far as you can tell?
2. What in particular has been changed?
3. Do they portray Holmes as a flawless hero, or does he have vulnerabilities?
4. What are his values? Does he seem to agree with the status quo, or is he rebellious?
5. Is Watson portrayed as smart or a fool?
6. How are the villains portrayed?
7. Does it have anything that particularly jumps out at you as being different? Why?
8. Overall, what does this tell you about how the time period it was created in views Holmes differently?
Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
(THESE EPISODES IS WHAT YOU WILL BE COMPARING CONAN DOYLES SHERLOCK HOLMES TO)