(1) Define the Art Nouveau style and explain its sources and historical context. Select 1 poster and 1 painting (identify them by artist’s last name, title, and date) that exemplify the Art Nouveau style. Then discuss how the works you chose reveal the characteristics of Art Nouveau. for this question, please use the painting and poster that I uploaded.
(2) As we have discussed this semester, both Impressionist and Post-Impressionist artists represented urban leisure activities and entertainment. Using the examples listed below, explain (a) what the Post-Impressionists borrowed from the Impressionists, (b) what the Post-Impressionists rejected, and (c) what the Post- Impressionists contributed to the depiction of urban leisure scenes?
In order to answer these questions successfully and completely, you must divide your essay into three parts, and label them part a, part b, and part c. You must use the following 4 artworks (2 from the first half of the semester; 2 from the second half of the semester) as examples in your essay:
• Mary Cassatt, In the Loge (formerly At the Opera), 1878, oil on canvas
• Edgar Degas, Ballerina and Lady with a Fan, ca. 1885, pastel on paper
• Georges Seurat, Le Chahut (The High Kick), 1889-90, oil on canvas
• Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, La Goulue at the Moulin Rouge, 1891, color
lithographic poster (at least 600 words)